Thursday, November 24, 2011

Budapest & Vienna

My next trip starts Sunday! I'll be catching an overnight bus to Budapest and staying at a hostel there for three days and nights. Then I'll take a bus or train to Vienna and hang there for three days as well. The hostels I'm staying in seem 'hip' and young, so hopefully I'll make some friends on my solo adventure. I'm really excited for both places. Judging by my US$13 a night stay in Budapest, things will be very affordable. Now that I'm no longer receiving checks from work, this is important. It's especially important because when I get back from the East I will have a day or two of rest before heading to Paris. I'm in the process of trying to find an apartment to rent during my week stay. There are surprisingly affordable places, so I'm trying to get one locked down before I leave this Sunday. The round trip bus to Paris is only around 50 euro/US$75... can't pass that up!

This weekend should be pretty laid back. The Esslingen Christmas market just started so we're going to that on Saturday night with some friends. It's so MAGICAL. We'll take some photos and load them after. It's huge and full of cute stuff, food and especially drinks. It's getting a bit colder here, so we're looking forward to some warm beverages. I didn't realize how many people lived in this village until I've walked around the market. Tons of people are out for it. There is also a medieval carnival that comes to town at the same time. I walked through it yesterday but wasn't as fanatic about it. Lots of men in medieval outfits and huts full of animal skin/furs... there is also a manger set up with four sheep in it and a donkey. Not sure why. After seeing my first pair of lederhosen on a short elderly and plump man with a homemade cane yesterday I have high expectations for this festival.

Apologies for mispellings, my internet is being too slow for me to go through the pain of editing. Happy Thanksgiving! ~Kara

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave and Kara,
    We are reading your blog over pre-Thanksgiving dinner. It looks like your having fun. Sending all our love. Please think of us as you have fun adventures!

    Kate with the Mucci's and Kennedy's

    ReplyDelete